Life Without Plastic, It's Fantastic

As well as initiating discussions and making other people aware of plastic swaps, and how easy some can be, I wanted to document the swaps that I have made so far. Ones I love, need to get used to, and those that I intend on doing in the future. 


CURRENT SWAPS:

Toothpaste
I had been getting the Co-op whitening cruelty free toothpaste in the meantime as a cruelty free option, and have just recently purchased the Georganics English Peppermint toothpaste. It is a natural toothpaste (so there's no nasty chemicals) and it's also cruelty free, plastic free, vegan... I could go on. It doesn't lather in your mouth because it's more of a paste, so I just need to get used to that. It seems like this little 120ml jar will last a very long time, for now though I'm thinking of all the things I could reuse the jar for! (If you're in Guernsey and like me, couldn't find this here then go to Plastic Freedom, she packages everything plastic free).

Conditioner
Swapping my bottled conditioner to a conditioner bar was by far the easiest hair product swap. I use the Sugar Daddy-O solid conditioner from Lush. The violet helps stop brassy tones which is great for my super blonde hair and it's lasted me such a long time - I bought this early this year and it's got a long way to go.

Face wash
Another great swap from Lush is the face bar. Again this has lasted a long time, and it's really good for oily skin as a face wash/scrub instead of buying bottled face washes.

Face wipes
Using reusable fabric face cloths - click here to read my post all about the swap.

Sun cream
The chemicals in sun creams are destroying the coral reefs, and by swapping to Shade, in a tin not a plastic bottle, you can help prevent this damage going forward. This is also a cruelty free, vegan option.

Deodorant
I couldn't tell you when I got my hands on this Salt of The Earth deodorant stick, it was that long ago. All you do is wet to apply or apply straight after the shower. I know this isn't a plastic free one at the moment, but for now this will do as a chemical free, natural alternative.

Shower gel
Use a bar of soap - the Bodyshop have a huge range of cruelty free soaps however, the paper that these are packaged in aren't recyclable so I managed to find Friendly soap locally in a cardboard box, from Iris and Dora.

Hair Brush
No longer will I purchase a plastic hairbrush when there are so many alternatives. I have a bamboo comb from Bodyshop, but there are so many other kinds of bamboo/plastic free alternatives.

Dry shampoo
My sister recently made some with arrowroot powder, cocoa powder and orange essential oil. Reuse a glass jar and rub into your hair - this is mostly amazing because it smells like chocolate orange.

Bags
I would always reuse shopping bags, but for longer lasting bags when out and about, I have two Paperchase foldaway bags, a fabric french market style bag from Iris and Dora, and for the loose fruit and veggies Elephant Box cotton bags. These little bags come in three sizes which is perfect (especially for those rollaway mushrooms)!

Food items: 
Mayonaise bottle - glass jar
Pasta sauces - glass jars
Buying all fruit and vegetables loose

Coffee cups
I don't tend to buy hot drinks but for the times when I do, I have a reusable Pukka travel cup.

Plastic bottles
I purchased a S'Well stainless steel bottle - I Love my S'Well bottle, and they do some really nice colours and patterns. Never buy a bottle of water again. 

Cling film & tin foil
Beeswax wraps have been the biggest and best improvement, instead of using cling film. So many awesome patterns, colours and sizes to choose from, or easy to make at home too. I don't want to buy anymore Tupperware if I can avoid it, however they last a long time and I also found a lovely Cath Kidston bamboo lunch box in the sale!


FUTURE SWAPS:

Stainless steel straw - At home I have a little stash of paper straws but a stainless steel one would be great for those drinks out and about.

Bamboo cotton buds - I have a few of cotton buds left but if I buy any more they will be those made from bamboo.

Shampoo bar - Whilst I have tried the Lush shampoo bars, they don't seem to work for my hair, I'd like to give a few others a try before giving up because this is an important switch I want to make.

Pela phone case - Phone cases... I never really thought about the fact that they're made of plastic. Maybe it's because they're sometimes just so pretty, or we only buy them occasionally. I'd love a Pela case, going forward.

Kitchen roll - Imagine how much kitchen roll every household goes through in a month! My sister has said that she will make me some reusable cloths. All you need to do is then pop them in the wash. 

Toilet roll - Packaged in plastic and not always sustainable, I have seen that there a few alternatives. Who Gives A Crap is one, where they post them to you in paper, it's made with environmentally friendly materials, and money from each purchase goes to a really great cause. 

Razor - I am absolutely desperate to try a safety razor. I am guilty of using disposable razors. They're cheap and convenient, but I've had enough. A stainless steel safety razor might take a bit of getting used to but it's something that I can't wait to do.

Reusable sanitary pads - This swap will be a huge step, and one that will prevent so much in a year from going to landfill. I must order them this month! All you do is wash them and reuse them, simple.

Bamboo toothbrush - Once my toothbrush needs replacing I'll make the swap.

I'm proud with the changes I'm making, and I hope to look back in a few months, or a year and add to this list. If everyone switches one item they use it really will make a difference. We need to make these changes now.


"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better it's not." - Dr. Seuss.  

Share:

0 comments

Please leave a comment, I'd love to know what you think!