Sustainable Swaps

I wanted to give an update since my previous post, and share the additional swaps that I have made since September. In the post I explained the plastic free swaps and listed those that I hoped to make. If you'd like to see these then please take a look here: Life Without Plastic, It's Fantastic. 
The swaps were: toothpaste, conditioner, face wash, face wipes, suncream, deodorant, plastic bottles, bags, food items, coffee cups and cling film.

I'm going to go through the changes I have made and had success with since, and hopefully to push you to make a sustainable swap too - just changing one item in your routine can have a positive impact.


Shampoo
 I finally committed (or should I say forced myself) to use a shampoo bar after a failed attempt and now have a favourite from Lush, the Montalbano. It smells like lemon and makes a really good lather just like a bottled shampoo would. Highly reccommend this one if you haven't already tried it. I am aware that sulfates are synthetic and not a natural ingredient so I'll be looking for another bar that works just as well however for now it's a great plastic bottle free shampoo.

Cotton buds
Haven't used a cotton bud now since... January! Instead of using bamboo cotton buds as a plastic free alternative I am using an oriculi. This is a completely plastic free, lets call it an 'ear  scoop', which you just wipe clean.

Phone case
I bought a Pela phone case (which I forgot to photograph), these are compostable. There's so many choices of colours and designs for all phone sizes and depending on which case you purchase, some of the money goes toward an environmental causes like Save the Waves. They also post them plastic free. It's protected my phone when I dropped it onto concrete and hasn't even made a mark on the case.

Razor
This has got to be THE best swap. I purchased my safety razor in September and whilst I was a bit worried about using it at first, it really wasn't so bad. Yes, you certainly need to ensure that you take extra care when using it and handling it, but it is such an easy swap! I pair it with orange and lavender oils shaving soap from Friendly Soap, and all you need to do is swap the blades out when they get blunt but they typically last longer than disposables.

If you want a good first set there are so many available, I purchased mine from www.plasticfreedom.com (Beth at Plastic Freedom is amazing at sourcing all kinds of plastic free products and everything you receive will come plastic free packaged too). Click here to see the razor starter kit.  

Sanitary pads
One for the ladies.
Okay, so this one I was apprehensive about to say the least, but this is a swap I'm super happy to be trying. Along with many non-disposable options for that time of the month, reusable sanitary pads aren't half as bad as I thought. I mean if you really think about it if you use disposable pads how many do you use? Every single pad is lined with, individually wrapped in, and packed together in plastic. To wash you rinse after use with cold water to prevent staining and then add them in with the rest of your washing in the machine. Reduce your waste and give a reusable menstrual product a try, what is the worst that can happen? Plastic free periods are the way forward.

Toothbrush
Again another simple swap, self explanatory, easy to use, no problems with this and you can get ones with different colours and bristle types. Make the swap!

Kitchen roll
My sister helped me to make the 'un paper towels' as they are also known - reusable kitchen roll. Have you ever stopped to think about how much kitchen roll you go through in say, two weeks? For a bit of mopping up, drying your fruit or veg, cleaning things, wiping your hands. Why not make some (or buy them if using a sewing machine doesn't appeal to you), choose some patterns of cotton that you love or why not match a colour scheme in your house. You could even add poppers and store them like kitchen roll you're used to. Once they're dirty just pop them into the machine with your other towels/washing. Things like turmeric and paprika can stain the white towel side, but remember that this is just a stain and they'll still be good as new once they're washed.

Water bottle
I wrote about my S'well bottle in the previous post but this smaller sized bottle, that I found in a local shop, is great for times where I don't want to carry the bigger one.

-

That's all the new changes I can think of for now, there's bound to be something that I've missed but I'm sure no doubt I will be posting another update. I hope this gives you some inspiration for new plastic free products you could give a go.

I'll end on this quote posted by Zerowastechef (Anne-Marie) who I follow on Instagram:

"We don't need a handful of people doing zero waste perfectly. We need millions of people doing it imperfectly."

Share:

0 comments

Please leave a comment, I'd love to know what you think!