Plastic Free July - Out and About

I'm loving all of the Plastic Free July posts that I'm seeing as I scroll through my phone, and seeing so many people sharing all of their fave zero waste hacks! Some of my favourite plastic free swaps are items that I take with me everyday, when I'm out and about, packing my lunch for the day or travelling. Let's have a look at a few swaps for when you're out and about!


Coffee cups
Addicted to tea like me, or can't go without your morning takeaway coffee? Buy an awesome reusable coffee cup! Some establishments even offer you a discount if you take your own cup. I adore my Pukka bamboo cup, so handy with a little tab that you can use to stop spills.

Bottles
I absolutely refuse to buy a bottle of water. I can't remember the last time that I bought a bottle of water from the shop. The last time that I accepted a plastic bottle of water was when running the Guernsey half marathon and water was necessary at one of the water stations. However, my sister and I shared one small bottle and handed it back to our supporters on the side lines to recycle/reuse instead of it going in the bin. That being said, refilling a reusable bottle is one of the most straight forward things you can do to reduce plastic waste. As a result I've even stopped drinking any soft drinks that come in a plastic bottle too, which doesn't bother me when there's free water refill or the option to have a can or glass bottled drinks.


Straws
I think there's more to the plastic problem than straws, but they are definitely an unnecessary plastic item now that paper and metal straws are available too. If you don't have a reusable straw with you, remember to say to the person serving you when you order your drinks that you would like your drink without one. I love my stainless steel straws and plant based straw brush, super handy just to fit in your bag.


Lunchbox
I'd been searching for a stainless steel lunchbox for a while, one that wasn't too heavy and with a good seal. I found this perfect sized one which is great for taking lunch in everyday, and it keeps food really cool in the fridge.


Cutlery
I think sometimes we forget that we have perfectly good, reusable cutlery at home. Pack a knife and fork in your bag for the day, or buy a bamboo alternative that you will always have in your lunchbox.

Bags
Whenever you shop, just get into the habit of saying that you don't need a bag. Annoyingly a large number of shops still automatically presume that you'd like one. I've had times where I've said to the person serving me I don't need a bag after they've already got one ready, it's as if it's been programmed into us that we must have a new disposable bag at every shop. Find a cool tote bag or a foldaway one so you never need to say yes to a plastic bag again.

Beeswax wraps
If you haven't read my post all about Beeswax wraps you can check it out [here]. I hate cling film with a passion, and can't imagine a life without beeswax wraps. Use them for sandwiches, covering dishes of leftovers, make into a pouch for snacks to take with you to the beach, keep your soap bars in when travelling... the list really is endless!

There we go, I'd like to make one more swap this month to push myself that little bit further. These small changes made by each person will help change the demand for disposable plastics.

Share:

0 comments

Please leave a comment, I'd love to know what you think!