Pastel Swirls


I'm absolutely loving baking and decorating cakes now more than I have in the past - and Pinterest is never ending when it comes to cake inspiration! I wanted to make some rainbow swirl decoration but having never done this with more than one colour, I thought I best just stick to a maximum of 3 colours. It's so quick an easy to do I thought I'd definitely share it with you so you can give it a go!

The cakes I have made are plain vanilla and chocolate. Once they've cooled you need to make a batch of butter icing - Using butter, icing sugar, a drop of vanilla extract and milk. Split this into three bowls and choose the colours for your icing. Once you've added enough food colouring and mixed them well, you will need to get the piping bag ready using this nozzle.


Slowly one colour at a time, using a knife, put the colours into the bag trying not to let them mix. 


Keep going until you've used up all your icing. Twist the top of the piping bag, and begin your swirls! For the effect that I have done, pipe in a circle from the edge of the cake inwards.


Voila! It worked better than I had anticipated and I think this could be a really fun way of making plain cakes a bit more exciting! 






Share:

0 comments

Please leave a comment, I'd love to know what you think!