How Heavy Is The Glass of Water

I'm a natural worrier. Always have been, always will be. If you worry a lot like me then this may help you out a little bit. 

I found something that said about a lecturer explaining stress management to an audience: 'A lecturer raised a glass of water and asked "How heavy is the glass of water?" Answers ranged from 5oz to 20oz. The lecturer replied, "The absolute weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long you try to hold it." "If I hold it for a minute, that's not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my right arm. If I hold it for a day, I'll feel numb and paralysed. In each case, the weight of the glass doesn't change, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes"

From this you can take this thought and apply it to your own stresses and worries. For example if you're reading this and you have an exam in a month's time. You might be constantly worrying about it and the fact you need to be revising, how well you may or may not do - perhaps the thought of the actual exam is distracting you from concentrating. Or if you're working and there's a deadline you're focusing on, or even if there's something particular going on in the near future.

What you need to try and do is stop thinking about what it is and concentrate on the now. Put the glass of water down and then continue with what you have to do so that it no longer is a burden to you. You're then more likely to make the most of you're time now.

Have you put your glass of water down?


Share:

0 comments

Please leave a comment, I'd love to know what you think!