Book Review 2015


As we're approaching the end of the year I thought I would take a look at the books I have read since March 2015. It all started when my friend Steph suggested I read Love, Rosie and it was really a changing moment as I enjoyed the book so much I wanted to read more. This, for any of you who knew me growing up, was quite surprising as I hated reading and never read many books previously unless they were for school. I bought The Hunger Games on my iphone (ibooks) and wanted to see what the hype was about. After this I went on to purchasing a Kindle paperwhite (there's no going back now)! I then went on to read 12 books! Now I'll talk about the books I read in order and what I plan on reading next.

Please forgive me if these are bad descriptions/reviews as I've not done a post about books before but here's to many more! I won't reveal too much to spoil the stories for you as I recommend them all.

Love Rosie - Cecelia Ahern
This book is written in the form of letters and emails and when I first started reading this (although it had been at least a year since I read a book) I thought it was going to be a bit of a strange way to read a story but my brain quickly adjusted to this style of writing and I couldn't imagine it being written any other way. The twists and turns are revealed throughout the letters sent to and from best friends Rosie and Alex. Cecelia Ahern is also the author of P.S I Love You so if you read that and want to read another Cecelia Ahern book this is definitely the one to go for!

The Hunger Games, Catching Fire & Mockingjay (Trilogy) - Suzanne Colins
I read all three of these books and thoroughly enjoyed them. Admittedly I read the first book because I wanted to join the bandwagon and see what the fuss was all about! I was hooked by the first book however Catching Fire took me quite a lot longer to read. I think I got a bit distracted and wasn't so interested, but after reading half way through it picked up and would definitely recommend all three books.

Looking For Alaska - John Green
At the time I started reading this book I had only read one of John Green's books - The Fault In Our Stars. I was looking forward to seeing if this would be similar or very different. I have to say his writing from a teenagers perspective is so incredible. I won't say too much more about this book but it really was fantastic.

Paper Towns - John Green
Once I finished Looking For Alaska my Kindle suggested I read another John Green book and at this point two of his books had not disappointed so I decided to add a couple to my wish list and then began this one. If you're my age (or perhaps younger) you've probably heard of Paper Towns as it has now been made into a film starring Cara Delevigne. I already saw the trailer for this when I started reading it but knew I definitely wanted to read the book first. Now having read the book I really don't want to watch the film and spoil my own perception of it. Again this is another book written from a teenagers perspective - if you like any John Green books then you'll love this one.

The Girl On The Train - Paula Hawkins
Looking for the next book to read I went on the Amazon 'best sellers' list and this is currently number 10 and has been in the top 100 for almost a year! So although it's a very different genre I decided to give it a go. I was instantly hooked with this thriller and didn't expect this book to end in the way it did. Although it isn't a long book it feels as though Paula Hawkins has fitted so much action in. Perhaps it's the idea of just a girl on a train that makes it feel so generic but there isn't anything boring about this book!

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky
The Perks of Being a Wallflower is really captivating, wonderful story about Charlie. I think a lot of you who have heard of this book have probably seen the film but I'm yet to watch it. The book is perfect in every way and this, along with All The Bright Places is one of my favourites.

Wild: A Journey From Lost to Found - Cheryl Strayed
This is a remarkable story about, and written by, Cheryl Strayed. After her mothers death and her marriage crumbled she decided to walk eleven hundred miles of the west coast of America. It's a great story that's so real and raw about overcoming these obstacles in her life and the journey she takes. My mum got me the DVD for Christmas and I hope that Reese Witherspoon will portray the perfect Cheryl.

All The Bright Places - Jennifer Niven
All The Bright Places is one of the books I have loved most as this is has a completely different message to all of the other books I have chosen to read. Albeit at first I didn't know it had a serious meaning to it, the way it is written so beautifully allows you to enjoy such a sad yet brilliant story. It was totally moving and eye opening. This book is not only a great read but a memorable one too, showing people awareness for mental illness. This story is about Theodore Finch who is fascinated by death and Violet Markey who lives for the future... I would insist you read this book or take a look at the description to find out more of what the story is about. Just thinking about this now makes me want to read it again!

Before I Go To Sleep - S.J. Watson
Christine had an accident which caused her to have amnesia and every morning she wakes she has no idea where she is or what day it is. You may have heard of this book (as you can see from the cover) it is now a film starring Nicole Kidman and Colin Firth. However, watching the trailer I don't think the film will tell the plot in the same way. To use a cliche - I couldn't put this book down.

Sleep Tight - Rachel Abbot 
Sleep Tight has so much suspense and a complex storyline that's gripping. This is another thriller which turned out to be one of my favourites of the three I read. When I was reading this I thought I knew the way it was going to end but then it changed and again as soon as I thought I had figured it out... it took a twist!

Some of the books I plan on reading next are:
The Help
The Book Theif
Eleanor & Park
One Day
The Boy In Striped Pyjamas
In The Wanning Light
Will Grayson, Will Grayson
An Abundance of Katherines
The Photographer's Wife
Still Alice
War Horse
To Kill A Mockingbird

I really do suggest looking at what the books I've mentioned above are about if you haven't already as they really are all fantastic reads. If you have any book recommendations please leave a comment.

Share:

0 comments

Please leave a comment, I'd love to know what you think!